- Ancient Egypt
- Roman Empire (60 million people with 25-30% slaves)
- Serfdom ( Europe, Russia 800-1800s)
- Soviet Russia (Stalin) (1920s – 1950s): Slave labor system called Gulab with 1/8 population are slaves.
- Hitler/ Nazis (12 million people slaves)
Total number Africans Brought to the Western Hemisphere:
1500s – 240,000
1600s – 1.6m
1700s – 6m
to 1870 – 1.3 m
Total: appropirately at least 9-10m/ at high 12-15m
- USA – 1865
- Spanish colonies – 1870s
- Brazil – 1888
- Europe have “Chattel” Slavery with the meaning is personal property.
A. Africa: it existed before Europe make slavery
B. Mexico: Aztec
- Own land
- Marry free citizens
- Children free
Two major Sources of Slavery ( ship to Western)
- Purchase/ by trade
II. P.O.Ws/ War captives.
From Carribean, Slave delivered to North America ( 5%), Mexico , Central American, South America( Brazil: 3m)
Remember: “African diaspora” means it break the African population outside African continent
- The ratio of males to females slavery: 2 to 1
- Children: 10%
- 15% died.